It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Thursday, December 10, 2009


Well, it was a two week process, but I'm finally done getting my Christmas decorations up.  I thought I would post a few more pictures since some of you had asked to see the Christmas banner that I made last week with some crafty friends of mine. 

This banner was inspired by this picture.




It was a fun little project that we were able to get done in one evening.  We just used a Cricut machine to cut out the cardstock letters and then applied black glitter with a gluestick.  I'm thinking maybe Mod Podge would work better next time though!?!

I love my little hand and foot ornaments that my friend, Shelby, made for me when both of my children were babies.  I think they're my favorite ornaments and my kids LOVE finding them each year as we decorate the tree.  Aren't they the sweetest things!?!  I think it's nice (and possible) to combine beautiful ornaments with some sentimental as well.  Why not have both, right? 



My scrappy Peppermint Fancy quilt from a few years ago... 


The next few photos are of some more of my favorite ornaments (edited on Picnik.com).  We made these star ornaments with our church's Activity Day program a couple years ago.  The idea came from this book I have.


Here's the poem that goes with it:

Here's a magical Christmas star
With a tradition old and true
May it bring you warmth and love
From our home to you.

Now everyday 'til Christmas
Find someone in your home
And secretly do a deed of love
So your identity won't be known.

And when the secret act is done
Place the star upon their bed.
They in turn do a secret deed
For another, it is said.

And like the star so long ago
Lit the sky for all to see
May this star bring light & joy
To your sweet family.
- Author Unknown 





I read a story the other day that talked about what all of the decorations of Christmas symbolize.  It made me feel better about putting so much time and effort into the decorating part of Christmas.  Sometimes the meaning of the holiday can get lost, but each little decoration we put up probably has some kind of reference to our Savior and how we should be doing goodwill to our brothers and sista's!  It's actually a good thing that we have all of those reminders surrounding us so much this time of year.  I plan to pay attention a little more to the meanings behind my decorations.

Well, the snow has fallen and we've broken out the Stephen's Vanilla Hot Chocolate (is it really "hot chocolate" if it's vanilla?) around here.  Mmm, that sounds good right now.  Time to get me some!  Hope you have a warm and festive day!  
~It's the perfect day to snuggle up with a cozy quilt and a loved one (or two)! :)  Bye!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Amber,
    I just love the Activity Day star! If we/I can make our ornaments...all the better! :) And I absolutely love your quilt. You are so talented. I saw the banner on a blog for Halloween one and I kept hoping I was going to get around to make one for the Christmas season. But moving and settling in is taking all I have this season. Hopefully next Christmas I'll be ready to do cute and fun holiday projects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The banner looks great on your fireplace! And I love all your ornaments. It's fun to get the ornaments out that the kids have made every year and see how much they've grown and changed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Amber! i may just borrow the poem for our YW Christmas lesson:0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the little foot ornament! What a perfect family heirloom. A fantastic idea!

    Your home looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, your decorations are inspiring! I can't believe it's already the 12th. I haven't gotten a single thing out yet. This is a motivator! Thanks and so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment. I read each one and try to respond as often as I can. Thanks so much for stopping by! ~Amber